Simply. . . Please

©Jeanne E Webster

What is going on?  Everywhere we look, there are distractions, enticements to lure us from our duty, applications to draw us to trivial matters, to waste time when we need to be using it for utilities that are more important.

Cell phones offer thousands of “apps,” internet sites plaster links to games, dating, movie rentals, instant messaging, horoscopes, shopping, and travels.  Newspapers are stuffed with advertisements.  White cards litter the floor while browsing through many magazines nowadays.  Products we purchase in stores offer us coupons to buy more products, buy-one-and-get-one-free ads, television blasts us with all types of nonsense, all vying for our attention.  “It’s a fast-paced world out there.”

I don’t know about you but I’m tired of the consumerism concept, period.   Perhaps I’m overly independent.  An old-world timer.  When folks needed to buy something, they went to the store, looked around and bought it.  They didn’t need newspaper stuffs to show them thousands of ingredients to fix an apple pie.  Just give me apples, cinnamon, flour, sugar and Crisco.  Do I need a jacket?  I think I have one in mind, green, with deep side pockets.  All I need is the price.

Oh well, perhaps I’m too simplistic.  I just know an aggravation when I see it, and there’s too darn many out there now.  Fast talking phone solicitors on a Sunday afternoon, speaking the King’s English, are a sure way to fire me up.  Ten o’clock evening calls for magazine renewals, political endorsements, and “do you have time to take a survey?”  Enough is enough.

Are you disenchanted with this proliferation of “apps,” or is it your cup of tea?  Let’s see, we have green tea, decaffeinated, fruit, orange, white, black, night time, sleepy time, pekoe, iced, Earl Grey?  Grrr.

I’d love to hear some comments here.  Ready?  Set?  Go!

17 comments on “Simply. . . Please

1. judikruis says:

I wish I could take advantage of some of those things but I do prefer life a bit simpler like you.

2. Susan Michaels says:

right on! 🙂

3. isaiah43123 says:

Have you ever wondred how all this technology will play into the coming of our Lord Jesus?!!!!

4. Marie says:

I don’t have a smartphone and I wouldn’t know how to get an app if one was staring me in the face. I removed myself from Facebook back in September. For me, things like that are a waste of time. I have very little energy anyway, and so I want to spend it on things that make me feel productive. “Angry Birds” just doesn’t cut it. 🙂

• Hi Marie, thanks for popping by. Yes, I agree. Some of us find all those gadgets a waste of time; yet others excell with them in their grasp. I guess I am what they say, “cut to the chase” person. Then get on to other matters. So much is available in life, we all must choose what is relevant to our selves. My world would be a bore to some, a smudge pot to others! 🙂

5. April says:

You said it all so well. I think we have gone on overload with technology, choices and all that comes with it…and in that overload we lose the importance of the simple life.

6. Hi Anne, thank you for your input.I can just see you driving off into the sunset on your scooter! You gave me a chuckle!

You didn’t like my apple pie recipe? Did you want the fancy stuff in it like butter, nutmeg and that? I’m talking “basic” here, young lady! Like in, precisely what one NEEDS to make an apple pie. I have learned to “lean out” fairly well over the years of changes.

hugs! 🙂

7. Naphtali says:

You said it all here. good.

8. Amen to what you said! Enough; just stop; turn off all the gadgets; and listen.

I paired down my list of blogs I would read because I, too, find to much going on in some of the blogs that I don’t care for at the moment.

• I knew we were like-hearted! Yes, STOP! It is sooo good to listen. All the house is quiet, no electronics whirring, no door bells stirring, not even a mouse! Wait! I forgot. Out here in the country, we get a mouse now and again. But not for long, if you want to read my post on that topic!

Yes, Linda, I’m paring down too, even with posting. Need time for me and the Lord. Amen!

9. Ever since I got my Kindle for my birthday, I have become fascinated with all the books, mp3’s and other applications I can get with it as well as access the internet.

My Kindle is a treasure of bibles, verses, an audio bible, commentaries ect, ect. My Pastor told me that my Kindle is a Pastors dream with all the stuff I have put on it.

You are right though it is a busy world out there. Some of it gets annoying. But for the most part, I like a lot of the stuff.

• Thank you for the positive side of “apps.” It helps to be an organized person also, to be able to facilitate all “that” in a way that leaves time for priorities. I’ve seen too much of the electronics placing first before family, work, rest, and God.

I know you, though! You do good! 🙂